1. Procedural Generation: One of the best-recognized features of SpeedTree Modeler is its ability to create foliage assets using algorithmic, procedural generation. This one feature saves artists countless hours of modeling time since they don’t have to worry about the small stuff, like where individual leaves go on the tree.
2. Instant Modeler Feedback: The Modeler also displays instant feedback to artist, even on trees of a million triangles. This “live editing” enhances the iterative creative process. As Deep Silver Volition’s Art Director Stephen Quirk recently put it…
“For the large, streaming world in Saints Row IV, I needed to see how game objects would act at different distances. SpeedTree does this in real-time inside the modeler tool, which provides a clear advantage over other creation tools.”
3. Randomization: Once a tree or part of a tree has a desirable look, SpeedTree can randomize it to create more variations of the same tree with a click of a button. This is a great way to create lots of organic foliage really fast.
4. Hand Drawing: In addition to procedural drawing, the Modeler offers artist-friendly hand drawing tools that allow quick “painting” of branches on the tree. Match concept art exactly by drawing the tree exactly as you want with a mouse or stylus. Then populate procedural twigs, leaves, etc. on top to create a finished model.
5. Export & Import Tools: With a range of popular export formats and importer scripts, SpeedTree makes it quick and easy to bring models into third-party DCC applications (Maya, Max, Cinema 4D, Houdini, etc.) or integrate into any pipeline.
6. Optimized Real-Time Rendering: For games and the real-time application world, the SpeedTree Compiler and SDK offer quick and easy solutions to get whole forests of SpeedTrees with wind effects, smooth LOD, and highly optimized batched rendering. SpeedTree isn’t just “speedy” for the artist. We also have optimized renderers for most of the major platforms (DirectX, OpenGL, 360, PS3, etc.).